plausible deniability

sophisms to get through the day

Pictures

wtlau on flickr

Blogroll

Previously

Archives

Contact

Buttons

March 03, 2006

From the e-mail archives

Prepping for my interview this weekend.

I had related to a friend my experience at one of my interviews for school this year. I had considered b-school last year, but an opportunity at work opened up that I really couldn't refuse. Getting dinged from most the schools I applied to didn't make my choice that difficult either. I'll be going this year though. I think a change will do me good.

--- from January 21, 2006 ---
I had an interview with Ivey. Business school again - Time to jump through those familiar hoops. I was supposed to be downtown - 1 First Canadian Place - at 7:00pm to meet with the Director of MBA Program Admissions. No worries, I thought to myself. The e-mail from two weeks ago instructed me to go to the 3rd floor of the Toronto securities commission at that time. Easy!

Thursday morning I received another e-mail from Ivey, this one instructed me to wait by the elevators on 1st floor as I would be unable to reach the 3rd floor after 6:00pm. Something about the office actually being closed. I wasn't too concerned about it.

When I arrived at First Canadian Place at 6:30, panic struck.

The building has elevators EVERYWHERE.

There was a central bank of elevators that went up to the main office tower. An unfathomable gaggle of elevators surrounded the perimeters of this massive building as well. I toured around in a vain attempt to catch my bearings. I still didn't have a clue where to go, so I approached a helpful security guard at one of the desks. I asked him if he knew where Ivey was conducting interviews or where the security commission was. He didn't know, but told me to wait in his general vicinity, as that was the main elevators were. So I waited and made eye contact with any person coming off the elevators that could possibly be an interviewer. I was looking for someone who I have never seen before, probably in a suit. EVERYONE is in a suit around there so I ended up talking to quite a few strangers and getting many odd looks.

7:00 rolls around, and no one has appeared yet. More panic. I decide that I need more help, and I noticed a security guard with a bigger desk on the other side of the building, so I boot over there to talk to him. I ask him the same questions, he doesn't know either. I mention something about the 3rd floor. This was probably the key that triggered something. He pointed me towards elevators behind the Timothy's on the other side of the building. I head in that direction.

When I get there, I noticed something that I guess I missed in my initial survey of the building. In front of me was a nice little waiting room with some nice leather chairs and a nice little sign that said that Ivey interviews would be held on the 3rd floor and that I should please wait there.

At this point it's 7:10.

Fuck.

A second after I get into the waiting room, the doors to the elevator open. My interviewer pops out and apologises for being late. The interviews have been running a bit over time. That was a bullet dodged.

The interview was reasonable for the most part. I felt like an idiot after one particular question. The guy asked me "Tell me something about yourself that I won't find on your resume". The question is such an underhand lob - it's basically "Tell me something about yourself". I drew a blank. I should have had something revelatory or something passionate at the very least, something with focus. Instead I had "Well... I have a lot of extra-curricular activities, I play hockey and... uh... rock climb and I taught kung fu." It was the worst answer ever!

I think I ended on a high note, there was reasonable rapport between the interviewer and I. There were some good conversations and I think my answers were pretty good for the most part. We'll have to see though.

Labels:

Posted at 11:04 PM
Permanent Link