plausible deniability

sophisms to get through the day

Pictures

wtlau on flickr

Blogroll

Previously

Archives

Contact

Buttons

March 06, 2006

Interview deconstructed

Originally, I saw the interview as a much more personal thing. To me, it was mostly a test of systematic thinking and personal reaction when it came to an environment that might have been out of my comfort zone. It would address my perceived weaknesses. Many of my answers dealt with my reaction to new environments and my knowledge and interest in business in the face of my primarily science background. It seemed a bit surface level but nothing out of the ordinary for interviews I've had. What I didn't realize is that there is potential for much more depth gleaned from how I answered.

A friend of mine gave brilliant insight into how my particular interview was positioned in the grand scheme of my application. I think that London Business School really works hard at determining whether or not the individual fits with the school. The questions really reflect that approach, as many of them were posed in such a way that allowed the school to discern where one fits along the political spectrum. Some of the topics we touched upon were around corporate social responsibility, state of the Pharmaceutical industry as well as the impact of rapid growth of China and India on markets elsewhere in the world. It's wide open for incredibly right-wing (The golden rule - he who has the gold, makes the rules) or incredibly left-wing (With great power must come great responsibility) answers.

Along that line of thought, there really is no way of messing up the London Business School interview. They say it's about fit and I think it really is. If you've made it to the interview point of the process, there's little question as to whether or not you can handle the workload or have the motivation or knowledge to succeed at the school. All of that has been taken care of with the paper part of the application. Granted, if you've misrepresented yourself initially, they'll catch you at the interview. Save that circumstance though - after the interview invite, what it really comes down to is that either your ideology matches the school's or it doesn't.

Labels:

Posted at 2:08 PM
Permanent Link