plausible deniability

sophisms to get through the day

Pictures

wtlau on flickr

Blogroll

Previously

Archives

Contact

Buttons

February 26, 2007

Some London Logistics

Thanks to RusGirl for the link! I'm looking forward to meeting more LBS classmates in a scant 6 months. Feels like an eternity away though!

It's nice that the time is punctuated with some local get togethers. A number of the Toronto admits are getting together again this Friday. There are 6 of us that are confirmed. For some reason, I think there has to be a few more admits in Toronto.

Further on the school front, I've been checking more into actually affording to go to school while managing to live in London in the manner to which I have become accustomed (i.e. a place to keep my stuff and food enough to survive the day). Some days I worry that it will come down to having to make the difficult choice of one or the other.

It's going to be tough burning through the my savings acquired over the past years. I like that I can draw on my RRSPs in Canada, under the Lifelong Learning Plan. The terms are close to the plan offered for Home Buyers. Maximum of $20000 withdrawal without taxation.

Looking into funding options, HSBC has a loan scheme partnership with the school. I don't think I'll be taking advantage of it though, as I should be able to set up a line of credit in Canada with a better interest rate. I'll still need to set up a bank account in the UK external to that.

There are also a few scholarships in the LBS portfolio. Each student is only eligible to hold one scholarship from the school at a time, good to help spread the wealth. I should be writing essays for all of them, just to hedge my bets. I'm having a tough time finding inspiration as for the essays though. Most of the questions are to the effect of: Tell us why you deserve this scholarship. I'm having issues coming up with things that aren't too cliché. I found the same true of the Stanford app question asking "what is important to you and why?" If one is actually passionate enough about something, I suppose it should come across as non-cliché by pure virtue of that passion. What do those of us who are a bit more cynical do?

Labels:

Posted at 7:14 PM
Permanent Link

Comments


You're welcome :)

Cynics should write the same stuff and hope that people reading essays are not like them :)

  Posted by Blogger RusGirl
27/2/07 7:43 AM


heh. That's a good strategy, RusGirl. Thanks again! :)

I wonder generally about any admission/merit-type essays - more specifically about the people reading them. How do you catch the eye of someone who has probably heard it all?

  Posted by Blogger Wince
27/2/07 5:46 PM


Hmmm... ask on the Portal? ;)

  Posted by Blogger RusGirl
28/2/07 12:31 PM


good luck with the scholarship applications! I know it's tough spending your weekends writing even more essays, but once you have the scholarship believe me you'll be happy you invested the time in good essays, it is worth it.

  Posted by Blogger angie
17/3/07 2:50 PM


Post a Comment

<< Back